There are many underlying causes for difficulty sleeping. Causes include psychological factors such as stress and mental health disorders, poor sleep habits, physical illness, environmental factors and lifestyle habits such as poor diet or excessive caffeine consumption.
It may sound too simple, but sleep hygiene techniques mentioned below can improve your sleep quality.
- 🌓 Going to bed and rising at regular times
- 😴 Avoiding napping
If necessary, limit to an afternoon ‘power nap’ of 15 to 30 minutes.
- 📱 Avoiding exposure to bright light from late evening onwards
This includes blue light from electronic devices e.g. phones, television, computer.
- ☕ Avoiding caffeine after midday
- 🏃♂️ Exercising regularly
But avoid vigorous physical activity within 3 hours of bedtime.
- 🥦 Maintaining a healthy diet
- ⬇️ Reducing your intake of alcohol, illicit drugs and cigarettes
- 🧠 Mindfulness & relaxation therapies
Consider having a warm bath or shower before bed.
If you want to learn more about how habits can improve your sleep, we recommend reading Pilot’s Sleep Guide.